What is the ultimate trump card for gaining rankings in search engines? No matter how loud you shout content marketing or social media, it’s still link building!
It is tedious, tricky, confusing and frustrating, but at the end of the day it is an essential investment for any business to flourish.
Link Building is time-consuming, especially when you are trying to hit high authority domains like CNN, BCC, Forbes and Entrepreneur. But in this post I am going to share some link building ideas that will help you build good links… fast!
How to Build Links; FAST!
- “101s”. They work really well. If you can create a 101 guide related to your topic, you probably will get quality and relevant links instantly. These guides are very informative for the readers and it’s almost irresistible for a writer not to link to it. Jessica Lee did this SEO 101 on Bruce Clay and today the Page Authority for this post in PA 50.
- “Top 10 Lists”. This almost always works regardless of what niche you are in! All you have to do is look into the industry, see what the audience is asking for and make a top 10 list based on answers that they’re seeking, and you will start getting links!
- Interviews. Build relationships and interview gurus within your industry as they have a bigger reach. The chances of you attracting more eyeballs, getting mentions and quality links within the industry will increase drastically. I do interviews on my website quite often and usually receive a good amount of new links and visitors to the website.
- Roundups. You write interesting posts and these links will follow you like a detective. All you want is great content on your website and you will naturally get links from roundups from different quality websites. I recently wrote a post on broken link building which got featured on Citation Labs Roundup post.
- Directories. Directories is not a good idea but saying that this tactic is a failure and one must not give it a shot is not true either. Directory links also behave like a normal link; if the link profile of the directory is clean and it allows a link to your website while staying in the guidelines provided by the big G, you should go for it! Note: the same does not apply to forum posts and blog comments.
- Long Group Interviews. The idea is to ask a question and get the answer from more than one person within your industry. Email everyone with the link to the post once it’s live. Chances are that many of the participants will share that post as they were in the post too and as a result you will get a chance to win new traffic, mentions and links back to your website. Venchito Tampon, did a post of this kind on his blog a few months ago and now he is getting links from websites like WordStream, Teachtage and Kaiser the Sage.
- Hire a Consultant. If you have a good amount of money but not enough time to invest on link building, you can always hire a consultant. Obviously hiring the right kind of consultant is important or else you will lose all your time and money.
- Hire a PR Agency. If you are a company with a big budget that can hire a PR person to publicize the stories on relevant mediums, then you should go for it. Remember; these PR agencies are really tricky, it’s important to discuss everything in advance so that you dont have to face any problem later (your main target here is to get quality backlinks and not promotion only).
- PPC for Link Building.; it is true that in order to get an optimized list of keywords, you have to invest in PPC, but here we are talking about PPC for link building. It is indeed possible. All you have to do is find the long tail keywords that bloggers and journalist can use in their research process when writing something, and direct them to your post. Once they look at your post and find it useful, they probably will link to it naturally.
- Social Targeting. This is something that most brands are doing for diverting more eyes to the blog post. If you target the audience based on their interest and what they like, chances are you will see more targeted traffic on your blog that might give you the good readership and links that you always wanted.
- News Sites. No I am not talking about BBC and CNN as they are hard nuts to crack, but there are always small industry relevant news website that will be interested in your news. If you are in the SEO and Webmaster Industry, websites like SitePro news and Web Pro News are really helpful.
- Use HQ Images. The use of High Quality images can help you increase link-backs to your website. This might sound funny, but it is true, especially when the business is e-commerce. Wen people see high quality images and banners on the website, they usually reuse it on their own website in order to draw attention towards their content. All you have to do is keep a track of the websites that are using your images and send them a customized email requesting a link-back.
- Email link minded people. This also suggests you to send customized email to a list of prospects, but this is a very different idea as compared to the one above. In this email, you don’t really have to ask for any link, instead all you need is the point of view of the like-minded people on your content piece. Once you see that influencers and link minded people within that industry are engaging with the content, you will start seeing links coming in automatically. I used this idea with one of my post as a test and till now the post has received around 1000+ shares on twitter and 196 links from 22 different domains.
- Guest Blogging. John Rampton is a regular contributor at Forbes and the first suggestion you ask him regarding this topic, his answer would be guest blogging. I know that Google doesn’t want you to build links via guest blogging, but to be honest, if you choose only high quality websites for guest blogging instead of every other website available on the internet; the link will still help you with rankings and traffic to the website.
- Memes. You don’t really have to be from a specific industry to benefit from Memes. They are everywhere in every single industry on earth. Just type in your name + meme and you will see memes on your name as well listed in Google. If you want a guide on how to get links from meme, here is the ultimate guide, but remember, timing and creativity matters the most.
- Local Citations. If you have a local business with phone number and a physical location, you can benefit from it too. All you have to do is submit your business listing to local citation sites. Make sure that the NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number) is consistent in all citations. If you are in AU, here is the list of citations that might help.
- Q&A Websites. This is no rocket science! All you have to do is find the right questions related to your industry and answer them accordingly with links to relevant sources. #Ifyouknowwhatimean
- Wikipedia. There are two simple ways of getting a link from Wikipedia. One is when you have enough press and media hype to create your own page on Wikipedia and the other is to get listed as a resource to some relevant page on the internet. This sounds simple as anyone can edit a Wikipedia page, but again, it’s not as simple as it sounds. If you are a new editor on Wikipedia, they might not take you seriously. My friend recently did a guest post on my website regarding this topic.
- Testimonials. If you are in a boring niche, you should try this tactic. We have used this technique on our company website and the results were phenomenal. All you have to do is buy a service/product and leave a testimonial that’s awesome enough to get featured on their website. Once the testimonial will be live, the link will be live too.
- Free Blog. Not a very powerful link-back, but if you keep adding quality content and push it to the right areas, this link will eventually make its worth over the period of time. Making a blog (or an about.me profile) is easy, but to manage it is the difficult task. I personally set up the about.me profile and currently it’s getting 60 links from 33 different domains which makes its page authority 59.
Websites allows you to list your blog and upon verification it will list your blog under different tags, and people on the website can see and move to your website within a single click. Technorati is an authority website so the link has its worth. (This idea is dead now! Thanks to Matt for an update).
- Giveaways and Freebies. The idea is to make your story strong and to give bloggers a special giveaways and freebies. As a blogger, I can say that bloggers love giveaways and freebies, so there is a greater chance to get a link from the industry related blogs if your giveaways and freebies are interesting enough to make them write.
- Donations. Find websites and organization that accept donations. You will donate on behalf of the company and most probably you will get a link-back from that website.
- Sponsors. This is something that almost all good companies do within their respective industries. Take the SEO niche as an example. There are tons of conferences; if you need a link, just sponsor the event and get your banner offline as well as online on the website with the link back to your website.
As promised above, these are the 24 link building ideas that can help any new website to get quality links… fast! If you are looking for more link building advice, subscribe using the orange bar.